Monday, April 28, 2008

A First For Everything

I have never seen a beaver before. In all my jaunts and gallivants in the forests and mountains not once have I seen a beaver. I've seen beaver dams, but not the inhabitants. On Friday night, swimming in the Riga city canal, I saw two beavers. I was shocked. Right in the middle of the city were these 2 beavers just swimming around. Now I have seen a beaver.

I have never seen the Baltic Sea before. On Saturday, I grabbed my backpack and found my way to the coast. As usual, I missed the correct bus stop and ended up at the end of the route in some little town that clearly was not my intended destination. This was not the coastal town I wanted - there was no coast in sight, anywhere. I found it wise just to head back on the same route hoping to find the right place. Sure enough, a couple miles back I found a place that looked well touristed and got off there. It turned out to be the right place.

Jurmala is the resort town of Latvia. It resembles a Newport Beach or a Park City, a typical resort town feeling with little streets filled with shops and little, ornate houses. I meandered through it until I came to the beach and had a raucous time:


As you can see, it was bristled with excitement. I ate my lunch and read and sat, all for 3 hours or so. It was actually quite pleasant simply being out of the city, in the sunshine and salty breeze. Now I have seen the Baltic Sea.

I have never been on a Latvian train. To return back to Riga I opted to take the train. Turns out it was not only cheaper than the bus, but much more enjoyable (it glides through the country-side as apposed to the highway which winds through all the cities and towns along the way). Now I have been on a Latvian train.

No comments: