Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Maestro

The Latvian National Symphonic Orchestra is first rate. Tonight they performed at the Dome Cathedral. I wanted something to do tonight so I went. A symphony in a medieval church is about as cultured as you get if you ask me. It was really good for the most part. The evening started out with an organ performance. Have you ever noted that that all the showboat pieces, the ones that are composed to display the performer's best talent, are always the dark, dreary, seldom melodic pieces? No exception here. It began as somewhat eerie, then turned a little creepy, then, it got boring, then it went spooky again, then it crescendoed into something outright freaky, and then, with the one dulcit sounding chord in the whole 15 minute piece, it died out. Wierd. During the boring part of the organ performance I noticed that well groomed facial hair on older men isn't quite as taboo here in the Baltics as it is back home. I wonder why that is. Not that I have any qualms about, I think it's awesome. Old men can pull it off with a real air of dignity; and they do here. Maybe when I'm old, and finally dignified, whoever decides what goes and what doesn't will decide that it's ok for Americans to have beards.

Once the organist decided he had sufficiently wierded most of us out, the rest of the concert was very enjoyable. Some Bach and Mozart. The best part was the conductor; this guy was textbook. He had the long, shock white hair and he was completely emersed in the music. I wanted to video him but I realized I had yet to turn off those annoying beeps the camera makes at every push of a button and I didn't think the people around me would appreciate hearing those. I couldn't help but smile watching him as he put his entire life out there. I'd like to feel that emotionally attached to something one day. Then, when I look like a fool, people will just smile and say, "Isn't it cool how into it he is?"

2 comments:

ms-mclaws said...

Josh, this concert sounds amazing for several reasons:
a) i love beards
b) conductors like that are awesome and
3) its fun to be cultured.

The best part of it all is I can totally see you, during the boring parts of the organ song, checking out all the old men's beards. It made me chuckle. :)

Lindsay Bird said...

Josh, when I see you in your element, I have the thought "isn't cool how into that he is".

That's all.