Saturday, April 12, 2008

Finding the Sun

In the Baltics, seeing the sun shine is a rare phenomenon this time of year. And Spring, with its life and warm excitement, doesn't arrive until May. I've been here a week and a half now and the sun has manifest itself to me twice, each time lasting no more than an hour or so. It somewhat depresses me, almost putting me in a state of claustrophobia having it be cloudy all the time. Such is life. Paul McCartney once eloquently sang, "tomorrow may rain so, I'll follow the sun." While true in its intended poetical context, there's not always a sun to follow; the only option being to wait for it to come out. So we must wait. I must wait.

I write about this for 3 reasons. First, I just watched a Beatles documentary - those are the best. They say you should major in what you really love. If only. But now I can hear everyone telling me, "if only you spent as much time studying what you're in school for..." Yeah, well...Second, I really do miss the sun. (Spring in Utah is my favorite season: it's warming up and turning green but the peaks are still covered in snow. It's one of the few times when I can have my cake and eat it too.) Third, my good buddy Dave recently posted a blog entry (dluxlife.blogspot.com) in which he mentions that the sweet, soft I'll Follow the Sun by The Beatles is one of his new favorites. He mentioned how sad it is that all us roomates are splitting up. I'm here, Ben is in Ghana, Andrew leaves for Europe next week - soon to be followed by Cody, and Dave is transfering schools. This all wounldn't be so bad if we were all coming back to each other, but were not. Ben and Cody are graduating and taking jobs outside the state and, as mentioned, Dave is transfereing schools. Andrew, luckily for me, will still be around applying for grad school. Seriously, what a sad thing to happen. I think of all the fun we've shared, the times when 5 guys in their mid-20s couldn't get any stupider. All the bonfires, the campfires in the front lawn, the housefires; the jam sessions; the backpacking trips, the climbing trips, the ski trips, the LDS trips; the countless hours on our longboards; hosting themed dress up parties; the mustaches we've grown, the laughs shared, and even the tears we've cried will be greatly missed. Who could ask for better friends? No one, I say; no one.


So, here's to us all. Because life undoudedtly will give us cloudy days, let us each find the sun that we are to follow, and follow it.





3 comments:

dlux said...

I almost cried. I miss you little buddy!

dlux said...

Aw yes...I remember those clouds well. you are going to be LOVING lofe in about 3 weeks. Cherry blossoms, Berry fields, hedge hogs... thats right...look for them they are everywhere spinning around collecting gold ring thingy's. They aren't blue but they are awesome.

Josh said...

hedge hogs? like Sonic? that type of hedgehog? collecting gold ring thingy's? dave, you are making no sense.