Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Desk Jobs

Lifeguarding seems like the ideal summer job. You sit there at the pool, looking cool, getting tan. What most people don't consider, however, is that while you sit there looking cool, you are merely watching people have fun while you sit there sweating. In actuality, being a lifeguard is straight-up boring.

I had my days of lifeguarding (3 years to be exact). I've also had a number of other jobs, some good, some horrible. (The library was awful. Talk about boring; it was me and the books for 4 hours a day.) Now I'm experiencing a whole new world, a desk job. It's like uncharted territory for me. I come in the office around 10am, plug in, and sit down, where I SIT, pretty much until 5 o'clock. I mean, I have work to do, mostly research work. But I sit here, all day long. Is this normal? Is this really what happens to people between 8am and 5pm? Wow. It never really occurred to me this is it. Well actually, I do remember doing a job-shadow thing and going with my dad to work one day. Now THAT was quite possibly the most boring day of my early pubescent life. I have to give him credit because he tried to make it exciting for me, but alas, the desk job just isn't for spectators. One of my buddies' dad is a gynecologist. Needles to say, he never went to work with his dad.

I found a place to live finally. I got a hold of this German guy who rents out to German exchange students and interns and whatnot. He was going to give me a spot in the closet of one of his apartments. It was a bigger closet - big enough for a bed, small desk and suitcase maybe - and I was desperate so I thought it better than sleeping in the park (which I thought I might have to do my first night in Latvia). However, just today he bought a brand new place and right now I'm the only one there. It's actually quite nice, better than a closet anyways.

1 comment:

dlux said...

still missing you...only now I am missing Andrew too. :(