Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Life's Doldrums

Much to my displeasure, a well-written and engaging novel will always have some doldrum in the story. I suppose this is to give the reader a break from the suspense or action or whatever the author is spoon feeding his readers. I remeber the first time I ever read The Fellowship of the Ring. That whole part at Tom Bombadil's just bored me to death; to this day I can't read through it. Today must have been one of those parts. Nothing really happened. I woke up, went to work, did my intern thing, and came home. Currently, as I write this, I'm watching the BBC World Service, which happens to be the only channel available in English. I actually quite enjoy it. Some might say that my affinity for world news would be a significant doldrum in my life; fair enough.

This morning I tried using Skype to call home. Just yesterday I bought a headset so I figured I should put it to use and make a call to the 801. Around 4pm Riga time (7am MDT) I dialed up my parents. My mother picked up with the usual "hello?." I responded excitedly. All I heard, however, was a repeated, "hello?," "hello?," and then, she hung up. huh? Apparently I need to do something to fix the microphone settings on my computer.

No comments: