Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Impressive and Excessive



I was able to explore two of the big attractions Latvia has to offer: 2 medieval cathedrals. It was neat. The unknown history of this place astounds me. One of the first things I noticed about Riga, however, was how clean it was. I don't know why, but I was expecting it to be alot dirtier than it is. (I know, I shouldn't assuassme.) Rarely will you find litter in the streets, there are garbage bins all over, and the entire inner city transportation network of trains and busses is run off electricity. It is really quite impressive. What's not impressive is the apartment I checked out this evening. It's exactly what you'd image a Soviet inner city housing project to be like. It's not that I mind living in less than desireable conditions - Nicaragua provided 2 years of that. The real issue concerns the 9 tenants I'd be sharing the apartment with.

As I was out, I passed a Hare Krishna-run restaurant. I thought, "I wonder if they're throwing colored poweder at each other in there? I'm in!" and, naturally, I went in. The vegatarian staples weren't bad actually. It was quite the contrast, however, from the hotdog I ate for lunch a few days ago. It looked like a normal hotdog you'd find in the States but there were two differences. First, the bun was thicker and tastier than a typical American hotdog bun; this was evident before I even bit into it. +1 point for the Latvian hotdog! The actual wiener itself, however, was a different story. It was like a giant, warm vienna sausage. It's not like it was bad - I myself enjoy a nibble on a vienna sausage from time to time. But that's the thing - a NIBBLE. This thing just got old after a few bites. Maybe that explains why vienna sausages are so little?

No comments: