Saturday, May 24, 2008

Apathectic Losers

I've never really been keen on discos or clubs. Even school dances got old with the unrelenting bump, bump of club music. It's just not my style - at all. I like happy music, music that I can smile to while getting down groovy-like. So when I decided to go with some friends (yes, all Germans. at times I feel like a Nazi POW) to a disco last night, of course I was apprehensive.

How was it, you ask? Well, to be honest, it exceeded all expectations. European discos are a bit different than State-side clubs. They are a lot more "happy," if you will, doing without the tough-guy, "yo, yo what's up" attitude. This particular one didn't allow smoking inside (a definite plus) and it seemed as though high school dances had been more dubious.

The funny thing is that everyone gets all gussied up to go to the discos. I just don't quite fit it - and I'm alright with that. Most the dudes here go for the suave, soap opera look: super expensive, dark jeans, some really nice dress/casual shoes, nice shirt, and their hair all slick (you get the picture). Here I am with the typically American, I'd rather be on my longboard, "I don't care" look in a t-shirt, blue jeans, my Vans, and uncombed hair. That right there kept me in the world but not of the world.

And people say apathy is a bad thing...

No comments: