Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Taxi!

In the States, I have only ridden in a cab twice, both times on a trip with my grandmother in Washington DC.

In Central America I took taxis all the time - and all for less than what it would take to ride the bus back home. One time, I got my foot run over by a taxi. I had gotten out of the car and I guess I had gotten out before I was supposed to because after I put my foot down, the car rolled forward just enough to squash the heel of my foot under the rear tire and then stopped. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt as bad as I expected. I told the driver my foot was under the tire and he laughed, thinking it was a joke. I reassured him it wasn't. When he looked for himself and saw it was true, his face was struck with a look of absolute horror as if he had murdered someone and he hurriedly put the car into reverse. He felt really really bad. I just laughed.

In Latvia, I wouldn't even dream of jumping into a taxi. It's not that I'm afraid of getting my foot run over. Nor is it because I'm afraid of dubious cabbies. It isn't because Latvians are known as some of Europe's worst drivers either. It is because A) I have no need to ride in a cab, and B) there is NO WAY I'd have the money, even if there were a need.

When taxis come to mind, you think of a 10 year old, yellow Crown Victoria with a crummy, well worn interior that reaks of cigarette smoke and B.O. But what would you think if you imagine hailing a cab and climbing into a leather interior with a Bose sound system? Or imagine a Mercedes or Beamer with the TAXI sign on the roof? Ah, you must be in Latvia!

There are more Mercedes and BMW taxis here than any other make. It is really quite astounding. Where these drivers get the money, I haven't a clue (Well, yeah I do - the lazies dumb enough to fork out $12 for a 5 block ride down the street is where). And it's not like these are some cheaper, only made for Europe-type models. No, no; they are exactly what is conjured up when German luxury cars come to mind.

So if anyone ever wants to feel like a celebrity being whisked away to some type of exclusive party, look no further than downtown Riga.



No comments: