Thursday, May 8, 2008

Murses

I am sure that anyone who reads these nearly pointless anecdotes of mine has wanted to ask me what the biggest perceptible difference between Latvia and the US is. At first thought I would say the weather. But then I think that somewhere in the States there is probably a place with similar weather. Then I think the landscape is very different. This too, can not be true as there are definitely parts of the US with similar geology and flor. Next I would mention how unfriendly strangers are to each other - no one even smiles or acknowledges anyone unless there is a reason; no hellos or nods or even eye contact on the streets. This notion, however, is also untrue as outside the realm of rural America, it is not much different in the States. So, after ruling out all these options, the only thing left is purses.

Purses, you ask? Yes, purses. I always have, and most likely always will, never understand why women need so many - but that is not the issue here. I'm referring to men and purses. Latvian men wear these little purse-bags. No, they are not with flamboyantly colored materials covered in sequins or a billion dangling charms; they are just basic little camera-bag type purses.

Upon first noticing them, I laughed. What fags! But then I started thinking: How many of us men are constantly having our legs fall asleep when sitting in a hard, or even a cushioned chair due to the wallet in our back pocket cutting off circulation? And how many of us are sick of wearing holes in our jeans where the keys or cell phone wear through the pockets when rubbed against a wall or tight space? And how many of us are sick of crushing or bending papers, letters, or anything by putting them in our pockets so we can function, hands-free?

Man-bags, or Murses (man-purses), would actually be a beneficial accessory to us men in the States. What American decided that purses are just for women? I'm starting to think HE was the fag who, attempting to conceal his gayness, thought if by going without the purse he somehow demonstrated a more masculine appearance.

I've considered purchasing one of these purses myself but I am stopped by the knowledge that however utilitarian they may be, once back in the States, they become a symbol of femininity and I am consigned to live as the society in which I live. But forget that - I've always enjoyed sticking it to the man. I'm just concerned about what the ladies will think.

2 comments:

Lindsay Bird said...

i wouldn't think any differently of you. In fact, it's quite inspiring. I have taken for granted my ability to use a purse for so long now that I feel ashamed that men don't have the pocket freedom that we ladies do. I think I will look a little bit differently at my purse today.

dlux said...

Dude. the ladies dig a man who knows his purses. get a Dooney and Burke they will appreciate your good taste.