Thursday, May 22, 2008

No Finns Allowed

On my way to and from work I pass the same buildings with the same shops and businesses in them (go figure). Of particular interest is a men's clothing store. What caused me to take notice of the store wasn't the obscenely priced suits ranging from $1000- $5000, but the sign that hangs in the window:


I really had no idea what it could mean other than something to do with Finland. What really threw me off was the "no." I started wondering. What, does Somijas mean Finnish people and they don't allow Finns inside? Or maybe they are very nationalistic Finns and Somijas is a slang term for someone of some nationality or ethnic group they don't want in their store? I thought on this every time I passed the sign. After a couple weeks I had a novel idea - why not actually look it up in the dictionary.

After looking up the translation it made more sense. "No" does not mean "no" but "from." And "Somijas" is - you guessed it - Finland. Mystery solved. Those Finns makes some darned expensive suits.

Now I can walk to and from work without wondering what type of business would be so discriminatory against Finnish people as to not allow them in their store. Whew, what a relief.

No comments: