Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Laundry

My landlord has been promising to install a washing machine in the flat ever since I moved in. It has been 3 weeks now. Last week I had to do laundry in the bathroom sink. This week he finally came through and brought us a machine. The catch, however, was that we would have to wait another 2 weeks before he could get someone to install it. He proposed that if we wanted in done sooner, we do it ourselves. The roomies inquired if I could install it. I figured I could, but declined. Of all the skills I've acquired working maintainence, the most valuable has been the ability to recognize when a seemingly simple project has the potential to go really bad very easily. With hardly any tools or spare plumbing parts, this was sure to be that type of project.

My roommates went ahead themselves in the endeavor. And what was I to do? Sit there and watch? Heak, if they were going to do it anyways I decided to join in with the yanking and prodding. Sure enough, a little drip-drip and before you know it, yelling, and then water everywhere. The water lines had been tweaked so that they would not re-seal and it was one humongous wet mess. Luckily, upon notice of the dilemma, our landlord arrived with a few vital tools and the machine was installed hitch free. Why he didn't offer the few wrenches we needed in the first place, we may never know.

No comments: