Friday, June 6, 2008

The Beard Album

Back on April 10th, I wrote about my experience at the Latvian Symphony. Most notable, was the fact that during the monotonous, completely mundane and torpid organ solo I noticed all the older men with beards (See The Maestro, April 10).

In light of the fact that a it seems like a considerably greater amount of men let their faces go in Eastern Europe, I have begun The Beard Album.



Should I feel bad taking all these pictures without these men knowing? I don't think so. They are probably more than grateful to contribute their folliclical energies to the cause of man. They know, that one day, the razor wielding, iron fist that binds both BYU students and "professionals" alike will, in its own dictatorial fury and paranoia, smash itself to pieces. One day, Fashion and Professionalism, the great worldly goddesses worshiped by both old and young, bond and free, will be humiliated and brought low as Baal. One day, no longer will the Head monkey in Paris be followed,* but men will wear their faces as they are so inclined. Lennon said it best: hair peace.

To these men, whom I have covertly taken photos of, I dedicate The Beard Album. Thank you, guys.

*A reference to Thoreau, who, speaking on following the capriciousness of fashion, said with great satire, "The Head monkey at Paris puts on a traveler's cap, and all the monkeys in America do the same."

No comments: