Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One wrong turn...

Some days, no matter which side of the bed you wake up on, it's a bad day. Since my bed is a twin, I really can't demarcate a side. It's a shame really - there is no excuse for grumpiness.

Today, even though I had to wake up earlier than usual, I wasn't grumpy.

I had to catch a morning train headed to a small town outside of Riga. I caught the train and rode the train. I even got off at the correct stop (in my experience that is ALWAYS a bonus). I looked down at my previously highlighted and marked-out route on a map of the area, oriented myself, and began walking.

I was on my way to a business appointment as part of the project I'm working on. The majority of the offices I visit are in the center of the city and within walking distance from our office. A few have been scattered throughout the periphery, like today's office for example. These appointments cause for the greatest amount of excitement.

I began walking down the very street my pre-planning skills had determined would be the best way for my legs to go. I knew I was headed in the right direction, I just had no idea where I was. I kept hearing the traffic from a distant freeway and I was definitely nearing it. Before I knew it, I was at the freeway with nowhere to go.




I reached my destination eventually; it only took an hour, 15 minutes to get there. That's not too bad. I got to see some trees, chew on some long grass, see a lot of cars drive by, and sing a few songs.

The only problem was that I almost died when a semi-truck making a u-turn nearly collided with a car right in front of me. It was way too close for comfort. I had to dodge out of the way. But I am fine. Like a hobo in a boxcar, I sing my traveling songs and go merrily on my way, even if it means walking along the side of a freeway.

No comments: