Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Microwaves

When I was still young in the mission, my companion and I got some leftover food from some branch member's party or something once. By the time we got home, the food was cold. Not having a microwave, I was just going to eat it cold but my companion suggested heating it up. "How?" I asked him. "How do you think?" he replied very sarcastically. I really didn't have an idea and I told him so.

It was then that I received the most cynical response I have ever gotten in my life - and it was deserved. "With FIRE," he sternly told me as he got out a frying pan, threw in the left overs, and turned on the gas burner. Oh.

Yes, I felt very sheepish. It's just that always growing up with a microwave, it had never occurred to me that food could actually be rewarmed by just putting it on the stove.

I am now living in similar circumstances without a microwave (only there is no heavy Guatemalan looking at me like I'm the most ignorant and pathetic dummy that ever walked). Sometimes I pull out the frying pan to heat food up but then I run the risk of charring whatever it is I'm wanting to eat. I've discovered a better way.

By resting a smaller pot full of left overs on the rim of a larger pot full of water, I have fashioned a double-boiler that serves the purpose of a microwave. I know! I'm genius! It works great only instead of a quick, minute-and-thirty second warm up it takes about 10 minutes once the water starts boiling. But hey, it works!

Now, whenever I hear that "Wells Fargo Wagon" song from The Music Man (you know - oh, oh the wells fargo wagon is a...comin' down the street, oh please let it be for me!) it has more meaning for me. In one line, a lady blasts out, "or a...double-boiler!" as her wish for what she wants the Wells Fargo Wagon to bring. Ha! I already have one! And I didn't have to wait for some crummy wagon to get it! Ha, lady!.

No comments: