Friday, June 13, 2008

Deep Questions

I believe that at some point in everyone's life there comes a time when they question the existence of a supreme being. That point usually occurs in a tense moment, like when that stupid mosquito that continually keeps buzzing around my head cannot possibly get any more annoying. Why did God create them anyways?

Even with this question in mind, the more deeply rooted theological controversy would lie in questioning why Latvians haven't created screens - maybe only God knows the answer but there aren't any screens in the windows here. I don't know why nor do I really care. All I know is that I like fresh air so I keep the window of my room open pretty much the entire day. This leads to issues.

At night, when the lights go off and I am comfortably in my bed, content, and happily drifting off to dreamland suddenly, that most aggravating little high pitched whine approaches my ear. QUICK! I spring to my senses! The lights go on! I throw off the sheets and I'm standing on the bed! The hunt for the little ba$#@*d begins.

I create a sting. I turn the lights back off and turn on my flashlight hoping to attract him and then crush him in his stupidity. I wait. I wait some more. I wait some more. My attention span is reaching its limits. Where the H is this guy? I wait some more. It is really late and I am very tired. This is gay.

I lie back down. Suddenly, he returns! My arms fling out wildly in the air hoping to somehow do something, somehow, to the mosquito! He is gone. I lie back down perplexed. This is definitely not the normal mosquito. He taunts me. He mocks me. What I am to do?

I have now exhausted my energies and slowly slumber away. In my head I hear the distant hum of those little wings. My senses awaken. Is he coming back? I lie still and quiet - nothing. The eyelids grow heavy and my eyes fall back. Quiet.

Almost unnoticeably, the hum in my head grows louder, the pitch increases. He's back! I hear him get closer! Closer! CLOSER! Wait for it...wait for it. HE LANDS ON THE TIP OF MY EAR! HE IS STILL! WHACK!!! Did I get him? I GOT HIM! HE'S DEAD! HE'S DEAD! I HAVE KILLED HIM!

Oouuwww. My ear is ringing. It hurts. It hurts bad. I think I just blew out my eardrum?! Oouuwww.

What is with these mosquitos? You wouldn't expect there to be any in this frigid Northern environment where it just barely got considerably warm enough not to have to wear a jacket. But no, they are here. And every night they create a stir in my room.

I don't know what the deal is. These Latvian mosquitos are definitely different from their American relatives. The light trick doesn't even work. I don't get it!

I suppose, that like everything else I can't comprehend in this country, it just must be one of those Soviet legacies.

D@#* Soviets.

2 comments:

ms-mclaws said...

hahaha this made me laugh out loud. Good thing I'm just in my living room...

dlux said...

haha. I remember having the same thing happen to me several times in Ukraine. We got a screen but they still kept buzzing and biting. turns out they were breeding in the tank of water that we had over the toilet that held water so we could still flush the toilet more than once when they turned the water off in the day. do you want me to send you out some bug net fabric? it would be really cheap.