Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Formal Reception Part II

I was able to dip my culture stick into the vat of high class again this week. Last Thursday I, with my boss, attended a reception hosted by the Latvian Council of Foreign Investors - a bunch of really really rich foreign businessmen. This evening, the office got an invite to a farewell party thrown by some Latvian ministry (not really sure which one) for 8 ambassadors who are all leaving at the same time: Germany, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, Austria, Belgium, and our friend Canada (at least I think those were the 8).

It was thrown in the Latvian National Railroad Museum, a quaint, old railroad station (my dad would have really liked it). It was very similar to last week's event (except this time I had to foresight to put on a coat and tie). Waiters in white shirts and bow-ties greeted us with trays of wine and champagne. The food was obscenely fancy. There was a jazz band playing sweet tunes. The place was packed with dignitaries from all over. It felt like I was in some type of movie. This was definitely a whole different world from the one I've lived in.

It is exciting to attend these things, and having my dinner covered for the night is a definite plus, but at the same time it saddens me. There are hundreds of millions of people in the world literally starving to death and here I am, at this government sponsored gala, eating prime rib and salmon and caviar and three pieces of cake (oh that cake was good).

I know these types of state sponsored events are not foreign to the United States - they happen all the time in Washington. I also know that many Americans oppose a welfare state. Now I'm not entirely sure I'm completely sold on the idea either, but I really don't see how we can justify spending tax money to entertain already wealthy people's tastebuds but not want to provide just a little more support to those who are going to bed hungry or homeless or uninsured.

Governments must level the playing field. Either they must allocate more on welfare or less on themselves and the finer things of "good diplomacy." When a statesman publicly recognizes this need and does something about it - whether he be American or Latvian or Zimbabwean - he will earn my respect.

No comments: