Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Formal Reception

This evening I attended my first formal reception/cocktail party/whatever you call it when you go into a fancy ballroom and drink and eat fancy foods and meet people.

This particular reception/cocktail party/whatever you call it when you go into a fancy ballroom and drink and eat fancy foods and meet people was thrown by The Latvian Council of Foreign of Foreign Investors. Transparency International-Latvia somehow was fortunate enough to garner an invite (We’re unclear of whether the invitation was simply to be nice and recognize us, or to suck up to us so we won’t audit anyone) . It was hosted in what is known here as the “Small Guild,” an old Hanseatic League building owned by the city that now is used for upscale events and receptions like tonight’s.

Waiters with trays of champagne and wine greeted us at the door. I felt like I was in a movie. There was a jazz trio playing in the corner of the ballroom and tables were piled high with the most obscurely fancy orderves (sp?) and finger foods I have ever seen. Some, like the prime rib kebabs, were absolutely the best thing I’ve eaten in over 2 months. Others, such as the pickled pear with blue-cheese spread on top was not so good. And the caviar-like, raw salmon thing was ok.

The majority of those in attendance were high rollers sitting on millions of dollars worth of Latvian investments. My boss - a good guy, father of 4 in his late 30s - and I felt just a tad out of place without the obscenely priced clothing that everyone else was wearing (heak, I didn’t even have on a tie) but it was fine. We sort of just did our own thing in the corner close to the food.

Occasionally, some big wig would come over and speak to us. The conversation always died out rather awkwardly as they realized we were not anyone influential they were trying to rub shoulders with. I’m laughing just thinking about it. I mean, Marcis (my boss) showed up on his bike and I on foot. We were basically there just to mooch free food – and that’s exactly what we did. mmmmm.


Marcis and I. This is after the party had pretty much cleared out. We were some of the last few to leave - never eat and run, only eat.

No comments: