Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summer Camp

Quite often, upon returning home from a vacation - short or extended - we feel saddened and weighed down by the burden of coming back to "real" life. Sometimes feeling the weight of it all return to our shoulders causes us to wonder if taking that break - and briefly tasting what a life without responsibilities is like - is even worth it at all.

After a four-day weekend (and arguably my wildest, most incidental weekend in Latvia), I returned this morning to my desk with these feelings. Even though this week would only be a three-day work week, it was still somewhat depressing.

And a three-day work week is nowhere near as good as a one-day work week. So when I found out that I would only be working a one-day work week this week, I nearly fell out of my chair with excitement.

ONLY ONE DAY THIS WEEK??? Yes, one day. Life is good.

I had forgotten that tomorrow and Friday will be spent "working" at a youth summer camp out near the small coastal town of Ventspils. It is there that Transparency International-Latvia (the non-governmental organization that I work for - for those who are still unaware) holds a yearly a summer camp to promote anti-corruption awareness in Latvian youth.

That is exactly what every kid dreams of doing for a week each summer. "Hey Mom, when do I get to go to summer camp this year? I can't wait to learn about the latest Corruptions Perception Index and its implications for next year's TI agenda while roasting marshmallows!"

For some reason, I think catching fish and throwing cans of lighter fluid into fires were a bit more enthralling. But hey, apparently this thing works and they have a good turnout each year. And I'm not complaining or judging; because of it, I'll get free transportation to a part of Latvia I've been wanting to see for awhile, and free lodging and meals while I'm there. Plus I will not be working, but "working."

So learn on youth! Transparency International's new Guide to Countering Bribery for Small and Medium Sized Businesses awaits you!

No comments: